Something about Mary
Mary Harris had a magical childhood in England and Germany, then she and her family returned to Wisconsin.
A graduate of University of Wisconsin/Madison and of Mallinckrodt College, Chicago, Illinois, she now lives in Chicago with her husband, children, and grandchildren.
Mary is also a freelance writer in fiction and non-fiction, and a screenwriter. Her main mantra is, “It’s all about the story.” Presently, she is Co-Executive Editor for Hidden Thoughts Press; Senior Editor, Noble Romance LLC; editor, Curiosity Quills Press; Editor, Scribe Publicity; and Head of Development for Sunset Pictures, headquartered in Los Angeles, California.
She is also a passionate believer in the Oxford comma, but allows nothing to interrupt the flow of the story.
- Proofing for typos and grammatical needs
- Word coaching as needed
- Character arc and timeline consistency
- Line or copy editing: grammar, syntax, flow, and logical statements; consistency of details such as place spelling, character’s eye color, etc.
- Developmental editing: Character and plot developments are logical within the author’s world; writing is clear and concise; no loose ends; all or almost all questions developed throughout the book and answered in the conclusion
- All editing done with Track Changes notes on a PC or a Mac
- Email and/or phone calls with author to discuss and clarify edits (up to 2 hours)
- Incorporation of author’s changes/clarifications/rewrites into the ms. in a clear manner
- Final polish and Spellcheck
- 40K = $350 – $450, depending on how “clean” the manuscript is
- 41K – 60K = $475 – $750, depending on how “clean” the manuscript is
- 61K – 80K = $775 – $950, depending on how “clean” the manuscript is
- 81K – 100K = $850 – $1100, depending on how “clean” the manuscript is
- 101K + = at least $1200, depending on how “clean” the manuscript is
Free Preview and Advice!
“I would urge each author to send me the ms. first. I can take a quick look, then tell them what they need to do to “clean” it up, so that they end up paying a lower price.”
Get a no obligation consultation with Mary! Tell us a bit about your book: [contact-form-7 id=”882″ title=”Editing”]